We would like to invite everyone to our Fall Professional Development.
High Impact Practices (HIPs) & ePortfolios
Date: Friday, October 18, 2019
Face-to-Face Location: Regis University – Denver Northwest Campus in Claver Hall room 315.
Online Location: Sent out through registering
Food and Beverages: Morning coffee and lunch provided
9:30 – Coffee and Networking
10am – Noon – Speakers
Noon – 1 Lunch Q&A panel
1 – 2pm PebblePad Demonstration
What are High-Impact Practices (HIP)? ePortfolios have been added to the original set of HIP teaching and learning practices that were first identified by George D Kuh (AAC&Y, 2008). Kuh’s research indicates that these practices impact student retention and engagement. You are invited to join our speakers in exploring ways in which various technologies can be used to implement ePortfolios and other related HIP in higher education.
The ID&T Department at Regis University and the eLearning Consortium of Colorado (eLCC) invite you to attend a morning of exploration followed by a catered lunch and Q&A with the speakers.
10am – 12pm
- 5 mins) Welcome, Introduction, and Agenda Review
- 10 mins) Brief HIPs Overview
- 10 mins) Implementing Technology in support of ePortfolios and Other HIP: An international perspective – Heidi C Blair
- Heidi will share how several high impact practices were empowered by the use of an enterprise wide adopted ePortfolio platform. The focus will be on the broad adoption of the practices and tools that was driven by faculty needs and interests.
- 45 mins) Supporting HIPs: portfolios and beyond Shane Sutherland
- In this presentation Shane will suggest that the presentational aspect of a portfolio, and the implied (or inferred) selection, rejection, reflection… activities only go someway to truly supporting high impact practices. Drawing upon a range of examples of practice Shane will attempt to make the case for a platform (like PebblePad) where the principal purpose is to support the planning for, and making sense of learning experiences as an essential prerequisite for portfolio creation.
- 30 mins) High Impact ePortfolios at DU – Heather Tobin
- Heather will share a high level overview of the past and current ePortfolio initiatives at the University of Denver including; how they were first established, how they have evolved over time, and the current state/next steps. She will also share specific case-studies of both departmental and course level efforts to incorporate reflective ePortfolios into teaching practice at DU.
- 20 mins) University of Waterloo via video examples…..
12pm – 1pm Lunch and Q&A with the Speakers
1pm – 2pm PebblePad demonstration with Shane Sutherland